Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Anyone Have $700 I Can Borrow?


It is utter insanity how much textbooks for college cost.
Consider this:
If I buy all of my books brand new it will cost me OVER $700.
If I buy them all USED it will cost OVER $530.
Why is this SO ludicrous?
Because I only, technically, have 10 weeks of class this semester. The final five weeks will be spent performing a teaching practicum in an actual classroom...of campus.
In other words...I COULD pay between $500 and $700 for books that I'm going to, foresee ably, get 10 weeks of use out of.
Before you say anything, yes, I know that most books are available online. Unfortunately, most of mine seem so "specialized" that even used online they are nearly as expensive as the used ones in our bookstore.

The good news in all of this?
Thankfully I have someone who will share the brunt of the expenses with me, and who is in all of my classes.

Needless to say; I am slightly angry, hence the rant.
However, I am not nearly as angry as this guy...


If you can't see the video, here.

...and I would never treat a computer with such disrespect.

Thanks for listening, and, since I haven't mentioned it yet, if you have not already noticed my coauthor Andrea has returned and is again posting some fantastic(ly) interesting stuff.

No comments: