Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Classic Post 1

I've decided, since so much of my time right now is spent doing homework and sitting in class that I am going to begin reusing old posts - from my Israel blog. Don't worry, when time permits I will post new content.
Number One - Marathon, Wednesday July 19, 2006
To put this post in context; I spent about two weeks in Israel this summer on an archaeological dig. We were supposed to be there for four weeks, but the trip was cut short by almost two weeks because of the fighting between Israel and Hezbollah.

The marathon is over - 30 hours of being awake and I'm finally back in the states...Philadelphia to be exact.
At 7 AM on Tuesday morning (Israel time) we boarded our Olympic Air flight to Greece, by 4 PM Tuesday afternoon (Eastern Standard Time) we were in New York. Then we caught a cab from JFK to Penn Station in downtown Manhattan (I'm not sure it counts because I didn't do anything tourist-y, but at least I can now say that I have been to Manhattan). At Penn Station we bought two tickets on the Amtrak to Philadelphia. Our train was almost two hours late...very frustrating, but we're here and ready to rest...So - long story short, I have been up essentially since about 2 in the afternoon (Israel) on Monday. Let's do some math...
Approximate hours of sleep since Saturday Afternoon when we left - 15
Approximate full meals eaten - 2 or 3?
Approximate hours awake in a row - 40? (Slept for a few hours at the hotel in Tel Aviv, but have been essentially awake since 2 PM on Monday (Israel time) combine that with the fact that today was about 31 hours long for us (7 hour difference between here and there)
Today was a literal version of "Planes, Trains and Automobiles"
For more stories from my trip - here.

No comments: