Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Reason I'm a History Major



My love of history started at a very young age. I spent many of my days at my grandma's house where I would spend the morning watching Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street and dozens of different old cartoons, including Rocky and Bullwinkle. One of the "skits" which frequently showed up on Rocky and Bullwinkle was Peabody's Improbably History in which Mr. Peabody and his side-kick Sherman travelled back in time using their "WABAC (Wayback) machine." They travelled to all kinds of different events in history; Ancient Greece and Rome, the American and French Revolutions and even the Battle of the Little Bighorn. There were also all kinds of clever jokes added into the show, for instance, in the episode where they visited the Battle of the Little Bighorn, Mr. Peabody pointed out "Custer's Last Stand" which was a hot dig stand...

Later on in life came Histeria...



This show took an even more hilarious look at history. Using its many characters as well as cameos by historical figures to explain historical events. If it comes out on DVD in time I just might consider using it as a teaching tool in my classroom. Amazingly, you can watch episodes for free at AOL's In2TV.

No comments: