Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Call for Change (The Money Kind)

My wife is like a whirlwind, and I'm just kind of along for the ride sometimes! She's constantly moving, shaking...talking... Even as I write this she is standing behind me acting like she wants to be offended, but saying in that coy tone; "You're not wrong...I can't be tamed."


Four years ago, she had the amazing opportunity to work on an archaeological dig in Israel. She worked as the technical illustrator, and for a few hours a day focused all of her energy into her fingers as she created grids and drew all of the stones from the church being excavated to perfect scale.
The next year her trip was paid for, and I accompanied her. We were sent home two weeks early because of the fighting between Israel and Lebanon (Hezbollah). This was an adventure that I never would have experienced had I not known her.
Two years ago, she went to Israel alone again. We were both preparing for our student teaching, and had begun to wonder about what was going to happen with "us." One day while conversing through instant messenger she asked me "would you ever want to teach overseas." Without thinking I said yes... She has stated many times that this was the turning point in her thinking about marrying me. I am so grateful that I said yes.

Now we are on the verge of another whirlwind summer, and another great adventure... We have committed to teaching English for two years, in Turkey. We will be starting some time in August. We have also committed to returning for the last year of the archaeological dig at Hippos which will take up the whole month of July. Andrea has been invited back to be the illustrator, and her ticket is already paid for. My ticket will definitely not be as easily secured, but somehow we will make this happen. It seems like things just always fall into place... we will make this happen.

With that said, does anyone have around $4,000 or the need for a 1994 Chrysler LeBaron suffering from some kind of automobile leprosy? We will accept change...














*Edited at 11:43 PM, January 29, 2009 - My Brain Won't Shut off Tonight!!

No comments: